Stained Glass refresh for Hughes Hall Cambridge

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 in Conservation, Current projects, Gallery, Maintenance, Restoration, Uncategorized

Stained Glass refresh for Hughes Hall Cambridge

The long hot summer of 2018 featured a stained glass refresh for Hughes Hall Cambridge working for main contractor Coulson Building Group

The work focused on the Margaret Wileman Building named after (19 July 1908 – 12 August 2014) was a British academic administrator, lecturer in education, and teacher. From 1953 to 1973, she was Principal of Hughes Hall, Cambridge, and a lecturer in education at the Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.

This is the building in colder times



The leaded lights feature fluted glass in lightweight cames requiring very careful restoration


Hughes Hall is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge. It is the oldest of the University of Cambridge’s postgraduate colleges. The college also admits undergraduates, though undergraduates admitted by the college must be aged 21 or over. There is no age requirement for postgraduate students. The majority of Hughes Hall students are postgraduate, although nearly one-fifth of the student population comprises individuals aged 21 and above who are studying undergraduate degree courses at the University.

Hughes Hall was founded in the 19th century as the Cambridge Training College for Women with the purpose of providing a college of the University dedicated to training women graduates for the teaching profession. Since then it has enlarged and expanded to support a community of students and researchers, both male and female, working in all the academic domains encompassed by the University of Cambridge.

The college is housed in a number of 19th and 20th century buildings at a main site immediately adjacent to the University of Cambridge’s Cricket ground, and between the City Centre and the railway station.

This was the first major refurbishment of the building designed by William Fawcett and inaugurated in 1895